Pain in the teeth and gums is extremely hard to bear and often leads people on a quest for a natural toothache remedy. The good news is that there are natural cures, which can easily be used to eliminate the pain. To better understand this condition and its home remedies, it is best to first explore what a toothache is, look at a few possible causes and their accompanying symptoms.
A toothache is refers to pain that occurs in the jaw, teeth or the gums surrounding a person’s teeth.
There are a variety of factors that can cause a toothache to occur. The most common of these causes happens to be dental cavities, which are characterized by one or more holes in the tooth’s outer layer. Gum disease can also cause toothaches to occur, as the soft tissue of the gums often becomes inflamed, which can cause bone loss and tooth pain. Other causes of toothaches include:
- Temporor-mandibular joint syndrome
- Tooth root sensitivities
- Cracked or broken teeth
- Eruption of teeth
- Impacted teeth
A variety of very painful symptoms often accompany a toothache. The following is a brief list of those for which natural cures and home toothache remedies are often able to bring relief:
- Painful chewing
- Gum and jaw swelling
- Extreme sensitivity to hot or cold sensations
- Bleeding gums
- Pain that radiates into the ear, the jaw or the cheek
For those suffering from the pain described above, it should be noted that using natural cures and herbal toothache remedies offers inexpensive and safe relief. The following is a short list of home remedies, which may be helpful:
- Clove Oil – Can be applied directly to an aching tooth to reduce pain and infection.
- Ice Packs – Applying ice packs to the jaw can help reduce associated swelling and will reduce the pain as well.
- Garlic – Placing a garlic clove on the tooth reduces pain and is also a great antibacterial, which can help reduce infection.
- Avoid Sugar – Sugar can make a toothache even worse. It’s a good idea to avoid eating anything containing sugar when experiencing tooth pain.
- Oregano Oil – Use a drop of oregano oil on the tongue and directly on the tooth that is causing the problem. This helps to take away the pain and also helps to eliminate infection.
- Yarrow Root– Yarrow is an anesthetic, to relieve toothaches, apply the fresh root or leaves to the gums or teeth.
Besides offering a natural toothache remedy, a holistic lifestyle, which focuses on a healthy balance between the mind, body and spirit, with a particular emphasis on a healthy diet, is always the best treatment to avoid painful ailments and disease.