Discovering sore throat remedies that work as well as or better than over the counter and prescription medications is ideal for those intent on living a naturally healthy lifestyle. For centuries, effective natural cures and home remedies have offered people soothing solutions to a sore throat cure. Knowing what causes a sore throat and immediately treating its symptoms is helpful in understanding how sore throat remedies work and finding the right sore throat cure.
Sore Throat Definition
A sore throat describes pain, itching, swelling and soreness in the throat area. Also known as tonsillitis or pharyngitis, sore throats are among the leading causes for doctor’s visits. Sore throats generally affect the area of the tonsils and are highly contagious.
Sore Throat Causes
Most sore throats are caused by an infection, which has accompanied a cold, the flu or mononucleosis. It is sometimes caused by bacteria, such as mycoplasma, strep or hemophilus.
Sore Throat Symptoms
The symptoms of a sore throat are sometimes felt before a person fully realizes that a cold or flu infection has begun to settle into their body. Persons with a sore throat will experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Irritation or pain in the throat (especially when swallowing or speaking)
- Inflammation or swelling around the tonsils
- Swollen lymph glands
- Redness at the back of the throat (especially around the tonsils)
- A grayish-white discoloration in the throat area
- A hoarse voice
Sore Throat Remedies
Natural cures and home remedies are known to cure sore throats without the need of visiting a doctor for additional care. Among some of the most popular sore throat remedies are:
- Gargling with warm water that has been seasoned with a spoonful of salt
- Gargle with mango bark and water
- Gargle with the water from boiled basil leaves or holy basil
- Gargle with the water from boiled fenugreek seeds
- Mix four garlic cloves with a spoonful of honey and one-eighth of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper together. As needed, chew and swallow a spoonful of the mixture for soothing relief.
- Cinnamon oil and honey can also be swallowed intermittently throughout the day for sore throat relief
- Drink cinnamon placed in a cup of boiling water and mixed with cayenne pepper and honey
- Drink a hot cup of water that has been seasoned with one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with a dash of cayenne pepper, lemon juice and honey at least four times each day
- Drinking tea made from the dried blossoms of chamomile is also known to be an excellent sore throat remedy
- Dice an onion and soak it with honey in a covered cup for at least one hour. Every two to three hours eat a spoonful of the honey and onion mixture.
- Prepare a tea from spice cloves, parsley, myrrh and goldenseal, which can be used as a mouthwash or gargle for soothing relief.
- Make a gargle tea from fresh sage, cayenne and boiling water. Adding organic apple cider vinegar enhances the benefit even further, but should not be added if the tea will be swallowed.
The moment the symptoms described are recognized one of the above sore throat remedies should be rendered to hasten the comfort that they offer. Although a doctor’s visit is not generally needed, if the sore throat persists, worsens or is accompanied with other severe symptoms, medical advice should be immediately sought.