Shingles is a common yet painful disorder. Shingles symptoms can make daily tasks seem insurmountable; luckily, there are home remedies available to ease the discomfort.
Shingles disease is a viral infection, which has a direct impact on the nerve roots. Shingles symptoms damage the skin by bringing about pain and rashes. The virus called Varicella-zoster (VZV) is responsible for creating this disease in the body, and symptoms are visible on the skin. The disease is contagious and can be transferred from one person to another.
It travels from one person to the next when there is a direct contact with the open sores associated with the rashes on the skin. Infected people are seen with a rash in the shape of a band or strip on small area of the body. Shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus, and after anyone has suffered from this disease, the virus is hidden in the nervous system (where it is activated, triggering a new breakout). The re-activation of the virus is, in most cases, the root cause of Shingles.
There are different stages for the detection of Shingles symptoms. Intense pain is usually the primary sign of the disease. In some cases, it can only be judged by the rashes on skin. There can also be other symptoms like:
Shingles treatment has to be applied as symptomatic as well as preventive, so that it does not occur again. As soon as you notice any of the shingles symptoms, you should consult with your doctor and get proper medical advice. However, there are some home remedies for shingles, which have proven successful as precautionary measures for this condition.
The following are a few natural remedies for the disease, which have no side effect on the body:
- Vitamin E: The regular application of the content of vitamin E capsules on affected areas can help in the shingles treatment.
- Vitamin C: The proper doses of vitamin C enhance the power of immune system, and hence adequate dosage should be taken in natural form to aid the prevention from Shingles.
- Garlic: Consuming 3-5 garlic cloves every day is a natural treatment therapy for people experiencing shingle symptoms.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: A dosage of undiluted Hydrogen peroxide can be applied to the rashes of shingles.
- Application of ice: Ice in plastic bags can be applied on the area with rashes. The dynamic motion on skin can relieve the patients from pain and irritation.
- Zinc: A multivitamin containing zinc can be consumed for boosting the immune system.
- Baking soda: A cold compression of baking soda and water can treat the blisters and pain.
- Apple cider vinegar: You can mix Ω cup of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water, and apply this solution to the affected parts of body. Apply the solution softly and in an upward direction.
- Cool bath: This is a simple way to get rid of itching and pain caused from blisters.
- Calamine lotion: Make a solution at home by addition of 20% isopropyl alcohol, 1% menthol and 1% methanol, along with a little water. Apply this lotion to the affected areas.
- Oatmeal or cornmeal: You can make a soothing bath by adding cornstarch or oatmeal to bathing water. It gives a temporary relief.
Among the best natural cures for shingles, however, is body relaxation or stress relief. Shingles symptoms are exasperated by stress and are often seen amongst people who remain tense and stressful. It is important for you to calm down and relax to keep your mind off the shingles symptoms and practice additional stress relief techniques.