Home remedies for jaundice can help reverse its symptoms and stimulate restoration of the liver and its proper functioning. Natural remedies for jaundice are among the best, safest and most effective ways to treat the symptoms of jaundice and should be used at the fist signs of its onset. To gain a better understanding on how home remedies for jaundice can be so effective, it helps to first discuss what jaundice is, what causes it and to be able to clearly identify its symptoms.
Definition of Jaundice
A yellowing of a person’s skin and the whites of their eyes define jaundice.
Causes of Jaundice
A malfunctioning liver causes jaundice. When the bile ducts in the liver become obstructed or are not properly functioning, high levels of the pigment bilirubin begin to build up in the body. Because bile is a digestive fluid that is crucial in assuring proper nutrition, when it is prohibited from accessing the intestines, gasses that have formed begin to increase.
Besides and obstruction of the bile ducts, other factors that contribute to jaundice are:
- Liver disease (such as is commonly caused by alcoholism, malaria, typhoid, tuberculosis and yellow fever)
- Hemolytic anemia
- Pancreatic cancer
Symptom of Jaundices
The symptoms of jaundice are a yellowing of the skin and the whites of the eye. In some people, particularly newborn children whose livers haven’t yet begun to properly function, jaundice symptoms are often more noticeable in the white’s of the eyes than in the skin.
Other symptoms of jaundice include:
- Physical weakness
- Pain around the liver
- Loss of appetite
- Yellowing of the tongue and urine
Home Remedies for Jaundice
Natural cures and home remedies for jaundice do exist and have been used for generations because of their natural effectiveness. For anyone experiencing the symptoms named above, the following home remedies for jaundice can be used:
- Eat a mashed banana mixed with honey twice daily
- Drink lime juice by itself or mix it with fresh sugarcane juice and drink twice daily
- Regularly drink fresh carrot juice or prune juice
- Drink fresh tomato juice with a pinch of salt early in the morning each day
- Drink water that has been boiled with barley in it
Herbal remedies for jaundice are as follows:
- Ginger, mint and lime juice can be combined for regular, daily consumption
- One cup of juice made from radish leaves should be consumed daily
- Create a paste from papaya leaves, blend it with honey and consume daily
- One quarter teaspoon of turmeric blended into a glass of hot water should be taken two r three times daily
- Snake gourd leaves can be boiled in water for a daily tea
While using home remedies for jaundice and during the recovery period, fried foods, spicy or sour tasting foods, as well as butter should be strictly avoided.
At the earliest symptoms, any of the above home remedies for jaundice can be used for its treatment. Also, at the beginning stages, a person should strictly consume only juices and liquids as this gives the liver and the intestines time to rest and strengthen for natural recovery. By using one or more of these home remedies for jaundice, its symptoms can be reversed and the liver can be returned to its naturally functioning state.