Bruises are unsightly and can even be painful. Home remedies for bruises are the best ways of decreasing the amount of time they are visible and decreasing the amount of pain felt by them. Before discussing home remedies for bruises, however, it is important to define what a bruise is and how they are caused.
A bruise is an injury to the blood vessels beneath the skin’s surface that causes blood to seep in to the skin and cause a discoloration.
A bruise can be cause by a hard impact to the skin, such as a fall, being hit or bumping into a hard object. However, other conditions can also cause a person to be more prone to bruising than others or can be signs of a more serious matter. Some of these causes include:
- Physical abuse
- Tissue thinning due to aging
- A lack of vitamin C
- Antidepressant medications
- Cortisone drugs
- Some anesthetics
- Immune disorders
A bruise is characterized by a discoloration of the skin in an injured area. At different stages of bruising, the bruise may be:
- Red (during the initial stage)
- Black, purple or various shades of blue (mid-stage)
- Yellow or green (healing stage)
A bruise is also often tender to the touch, particularly in its initial or middle stages.
Home Remedies for Bruises
Using one of a variety of home remedies for bruises can lessen the amount of time that a bruise is present on the body, as well as reduce the pain that is associated with it. The following home remedies for bruises are among the best in alternative treatments:
- Applying an ice pack immediately after injury reduces tissue swelling and can decrease a bruise’s severity
- Vaseline that is melted, mixed with cayenne pepper and allowed to cool can be applied daily until bruising diminishes
- Witch Hazel applied to the bruise helps in stimulating circulation in the area and reduces healing time
Herbal remedies that heal bruises are:
- Applying Arnica to the injured sight immediately after injury to reduce swelling and the severity of a bruise
- Buchu or comfrey root can be used to make a tea, poured over a cloth and applied to the affected area for faster healing
- St. John’s Wort has astringent properties that make it a great choice to apply to bruises for rapid healing
- Crushed parsley is rich with vitamins and can also be applied to a bruise for fast healing
For those who are naturally prone to bruising, the following preventative measures can strengthen the skin’s resistance against injury:
- Increasing vitamin C through diet or supplementation
- Alfalfa and vitamin K are effective in increasing blood clotting
- The vitamin P found in lemons, rose hips, broccoli and green peppers acts as a bioflavonoid that protects blood capillaries
Home remedies for bruises are completely safe to use and they are very effective in helping a bruise heal fast. By using home remedies and natural cures for healing, a person becomes empowered with knowledge about how the body works and what is needed to restore it when good health is threatened.