Home remedies for bronchitis bring relief to countless people who suffer with this condition. Natural, safe and effective choices in healing are available to those willing to take the time to learn about their condition and the best home treatments that are available to them.
Bronchitis is when the bronchial tubes that carry air to the lungs become inflamed or irritated and, as they begin to swell, they also create mucous. Together, these actions cause a person to cough uncontrollably.
The two different types of bronchitis are:
- Acute bronchitis – Normally lasts for a brief period of up to three weeks and goes away on its own.
- Chronic bronchitis – Lasts for a much longer period and reoccurs frequently.
A virus or an upper respiratory infection causes acute bronchitis. An onset of this type normally follows a cold, a flu infection or is caused by an outside irritant, such as pollen, secondhand cigarette smoke or dust. In some cases, rapid weather changes can also trigger the onset of acute bronchitis.
Chronic bronchitis, on the other hand, is primarily caused by long-term lung exposure to pollutants. Chronic bronchitis is often found in long time cigarette smokers or drug users, and is also common in people who live or work in very toxic, polluted environments. Chronic bronchitis is a very serious disease and is often accompanied by emphysema.
Depending upon the severity of a person’s bronchitis condition, the following symptoms may be evident:
- Incessant coughing (especially at night)
- Labored breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Low grade fever
Home Remedies for Bronchitis
One of the best ways to avoid bronchitis is to keep the immune system strong and avoid situations where a cold or the flu may be contracted. It is also important that allergy sufferers take measures to avoid irritants that may trigger allergy symptoms, as these same irritants can also cause bronchitis.
If a person is already showing symptoms, the following home remedies for bronchitis can help:
- Drinking lots of fluid, especially warm fluids like tea and chicken soup, helps loosen to release phlegm
- A half teaspoon of tumeric powder mixed into a glass of milk helps bronchitis heal faster
- Spicy foods seasoned with peppers help clear mucous membranes
- A half teaspoon of cayenne in boiling water with honey and lemon also clears mucous membranes
- One teaspoon of raw onion juice on an empty stomach can lessen the length of a bronchitis attack
- Ginger, cloves and pepper mixed together in a tea and sweetened with honey is an effective bronchitis treatment
Herbal remedies for bronchitis include:
The above home remedies for bronchitis are the most effective when they are taken on an empty stomach. Natural cures for bronchitis can take up to a week before their effectiveness is noticed, so it is important that the bronchitis treatment is adhered to daily during this time.
If symptoms persist for longer than three weeks, are accompanied by fever and do not respond to home remedies for bronchitis, it is advised that medical attention be sought. Bronchitis symptoms are very closely related to pneumonia symptoms, which can be very serious.
While acute bronchitis is not a serious disease, it can be disruptive to a person’s sleep and their daily activities. Home remedies for bronchitis can greatly reduce the time that a person is forced to suffer with this respiratory ailment and help restore them to good health without the use of drugs or side effects. Natural cures and home remedies have been trusted for centuries as effective, safe and inexpensive treatments for optimal health.