It is very important for people to understand and use home remedies for anorexia. Although the disease mostly affects women, men are increasingly being diagnosed with the disorder also. To effectively treat anorexia, it is important to grasp an understanding of what it is and what causes it.
Anorexia Nervosa, commonly referred to as simply anorexia, is classified as an eating disorder, which causes a person to appear emaciated. Because it is largely psychological in nature, anorexia is also a serious psychological disorder. People with anorexia have a warped sense of their own body image and are phobic about gaining weight. Where others see that they are dangerously thin, it is not unusual for a person with anorexia to believe that they need to lose more weight. People with anorexia are literally starving themselves in an attempt to be as thin as possible.
The cause of anorexia is largely due to the pressures of cultural beauty standards and the psychological affects the standard of being thin can often create in people, primarily women.
Symptoms of anorexia are as follows:
- A dangerously thin figure
- Hair loss (due to vitamin deficiencies)
- Sallow or pale skin
- Obsessive exercising
- Refusal to see one’s body as being too thin
- Believing that one isn’t thin enough
- Mild to severe personality changes
Home Remedies for Anorexia
Natural cures and home remedies for anorexia can be effective if the disorder is addressed in time. Without proper treatment, however, anorexia can lead to a host of serious ailments, such as liver failure, heart failure, and death.
Because anorexia is also a serious psychological condition, intensive therapy, medical care and medical supervision is strongly encouraged in tandem with the following home remedies for anorexia:
- Pineapple first thing in the morning helps stimulate the appetite throughout the day
- Mint leaves or mint juice also stimulates the appetite
- An apple each day assists in digestion
- Orange juice taken at 2-hour intervals throughout the day helps to restore a weakened digestive system
- Sour grapes also strengthen the digestive system, as well as aid in increasing the appetite, making one of the dual-purpose home remedies for anorexia
- Asafetida and pure ghee combined together are believed to be 2 very effective herbs in the treatment of anorexia
- Asafetida can also be combined with ginger, lemon, black pepper and rock salt to create a stimulating appetite drink (it is advised that this be consumed daily for at least 2 weeks)
- Eating oranges also increases the appetite and stimulates digestion
- Raw tomatoes should also be regularly consumed for their nutrition and to boost the appetite
- Once appetite is regained, it is important for the person afflicted with anorexia to eat green salads and fruit salads to continue to regain lost nutrients and build digestion
- Chicken soup is also helpful in gaining nutrition from a light source until the body can better digest heavier, more solid foods
Each of these home remedies for anorexia combined with psychotherapy and group therapy can help restore a person suffering from anorexia to good health. It is important that family members and those close to a person afflicted with this disorder have a clear understanding of its genesis and are patient in supporting a person as they make their way back to a normal, healthy life.