Home remedies for acne scars have been very helpful in restoring people’s self-confidence by eliminating embarrassing marks and scars without the need of store bought medications or prescriptions. By using natural remedies for scars, a person can learn to take control of their skin and improve their overall health. To understand how and why home remedies for acne scars can be useful, it is important to first understand acne scarring a little better.
When pockmarks or scars that are left over after acne has disappeared permanently mar skin, this is called acne scarring.
Acne scarring is caused by skin tissue becoming inflamed, which results in either an increase in tissue formation or a noticeable loss of skin tissue.
Acne Scars Symptoms
Acne scarring caused by excess tissue formation are commonly referred to as keloid scarring, which happens when excess collagen in the skin appears as a fibrous mass on the skin.
Conversely, when a loss of skin tissue occurs, deep or soft crater-like scars appear on the skin’s surface. Scarring resulting from a loss of skin tissue is the most common type of acne scarring that people suffer from.
Home Remedies for Acne Scars
Natural remedies for scars eliminate the risks of laser treatments or side effects from prescription medications. With safe, easy to use natural cures, both acne and scarring can be effectively treated.
Home remedies for acne scars include the following dietary changes:
- A high protein diet, which is helpful in rebuilding skin cells
- Diets high in fresh fruit, leafy green vegetables and fibrous vegetables promote natural skin care and increase bowel activity
- Drinking large amounts of water daily not only hydrates skin, but removes dead skin cells and promotes the growth of new, healthy skin
- Foods that are high in zinc and chromium, as well as vitamins A, B and E (supplements can be used if necessary) are helpful in repairing scarred skin
Avoiding certain foods are also considered helpful home remedies for acne scars. Such foods include:
- All processed foods (including sugar and white flour)
- Milk products
- Foods containing hydrogenated oils
Other home remedies for acne scars:
- Honey applied directly to skin or consumed regularly acts as a moisturizer that keeps skin hydrated while it heals
- Lime juice, which is highly acidic and removes dead skin cells creates an environment for healthy skin to regenerate
- Creating a tomato mask from sliced tomatoes placed directly on skin for at least 15 minutes acts as an antioxidant that can improve the damage scarred skin has suffered
- Making a mask from blending cucumber and tomato into a paste helps in the tightening of skin and, thus, reduces the appearance of acne scarring
- Rubbing ice cubes on skin also shrinks pores and reduces the appearance of acne scars
- Vitamin E oil is an effective scar removal
- Applying tea tree oil helps in scar removal and prevents the growth of bacteria on skin that can infect acne and result in more scarring
Home remedies for acne scars are the safest skin restoration and scar removal methods. With key dietary adjustments, good hygiene habits, preventative strategies and the regular use of folk remedies, people do not have to live with unsightly acne scarring.