Being aware of natural flu remedies ahead of time, helps in attacking symptoms at their onset. Doing so also limits the amount of time that the virus is active in the body and helps to restore a person to good health without the need of pharmaceutical drugs and their side effects. Before discussing natural cures and home flu remedies, however, it helps to have a basic understanding of what the flu is, what causes it and the symptoms it presents.
Influenza, commonly referred to simply as the flu, occurs when the RNA virus infects the respiratory tract. While the infection will typically last a week or two before a person is fully recovered, in more severe cases, the flu can become life-threatening and can even result in death.
The influenza virus is typically classified in either an A, B, or C category. It is the type A or B presentations that are responsible for epidemic flu strains that commonly occur during most winters. However, the type C virus is a very mild classification and one in which most people have few or no symptoms at all. Over time, these viruses can and often do mutate, which means that the immune system can be ill-prepared to fight an unfamiliar mutated strain leaving a person nearly defenseless against its onset.
Once the flu virus is present in a person’s body, it is easily spread to others, sometimes even before the original host recognizes its symptoms. This virus is transferred when one breathes in the virus, which can be introduced through the mucus membranes, such as the mouth or the nose. A few of the ways in which the virus is spread are as follows:
- Inhaling airborne droplets, which are often unseen (such as those present in the air after a person coughs or sneezes)
- Touching common, but infected, surfaces (faucet handles, doorknobs, telephones, railings, etc.)
- Bodily contact with an infected person (shaking hands, kissing, hugging, etc.)
Once the virus has become active in a person’s body, a few of the most notable symptoms are as follows:
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Muscle aches
The following home flu remedies and natural cures have been successfully used in treating flu symptoms:
- Gargling with warm salt water (helps kill bacteria and virus particles, as well as draws fluid out of the throat)
- Gargling with tea (the tannin it contains helps tighten the membranes in the throat)
- Using a neti pot or a syringe to cleanse the nasal passages with a solution made of º tsp baking soda, º tsp salt and 8 ounces of warm water
Specific herbal flu remedies include:
- Yarrow Drinking 1-2 quarts of very strong Yarrow -steeped infusion at the onset of flu symptoms will usually halt all further symptom progression. The emphasis here is AT ONSET. Strong Yarrow infusion consumed after Influenza or a cold has progressed for several days will help reduce fever and induce sweating, but only modestly reduce other symptom severity.
- Consuming blueberries, which help to relieve fever, headache and body aches
- Consuming bananas, which help soothe an upset stomach
- Consuming onions and/or garlic, which both act as powerful agents against infections
- Consuming bell peppers and other vegetables and fruits, which are high in vitamin C
An excellent Natural Flu Remedy that I highly recommend is by Dr. James Chappell:
1. Create an environment in which harmful bugs cannot thrive:
Use Dr. Chappell’s Natural Cure Plan if you have health challenges, this is the plan I have used over the last 6 months along with a raw food diet and have seen tremendous improvements in my health.
2. Once you have started your plan, use these natural flu remedies:
* Argentyn 23 – the most effective colloidal, ionic silver I have ever used. It is this exact product that Dr. Chappell uses in Mexico to treat serious viral infections. You can get it from Natural Immunogenics. Follow the dosing on the label.
* Lugol’s Solution – Iodine helps kill viruses, bacteria and fungal infections. It helps remove toxic chemicals and clean out the body. You can get it from J. Crow and Company. Follow the instructions on the label – and do NOT exceed the dosing recommended for infections.
* Mycel A – This is pure vitamin A in a micellized, water soluble form (micellization produces tiny droplets of vitamin A that are easily absorbed by the body). Vitamin A supports the immune system as it fights off bacteria, viruses and fungi. It is available through Ethical Nutrients. Take ONLY one or two drops daily in water.
* Vitamin D3 – This vitamin plays a key role in modulating the immune system. Many believe that the flu is more common in winter because that is when our vitamin D levels are lowest due to lack of exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D3 is especially important when dealing with upper respiratory and lung infections. I recommend you get this vitamin in 5,000 IU capsules. On the first day of suspected illness take 10 capsules all at the same time. The next day, take 2 capsules 3 times during the day. The next day drop down to 2 capsules 2 times, and then on following days drop down to the maintenance dose of 1 capsule 2 times per day.
* Sodium Ascorbate– This is buffered Vitamin C combining sodium bicarbonate and ascorbic acid. It is the form of Vitamin C Dr. Linus Pauling recommended. The Internet is full of references for Vitamin C and places where you can buy it. From cancer to the common cold Vitamin C is critically important to maintain optimum health and longevity, but more so during an epidemic of the flu or any upper respiratory infection. You do not want to be without this form of Vitamin C. With an active infection, you may take one scoop every hour or until you reach bowel intolerance or diarrhea. You can then reduce your dose until the diarrhea goes away. Regular consumption of sodium ascorbate will keep your immune system strong.
It is important to note that the flu virus does not discriminate and people of any age can be mildly to severely afflicted with this illness. However, for those with pre-existing health conditions, including, but not limited to, diabetes, asthma and cancer, the flu virus can present a serious health threat. Even in otherwise healthy individuals, the flu virus can result in extreme health conditions, such as pneumonia, which can be life-threatening. For this reason, it is important to use natural cures and herbal flu remedies as soon as symptoms become apparent.
Perhaps the best flu remedy, however, is to avoid contracting the virus in the first place. Often it can be avoided by frequent hand washing; keeping unwashed hands out of one’s face, nose, eye and mouth areas; and covering one’s mouth when coughing or sneezing.
And the best among all flu remedies is, of course, maintaining a healthy immune system. This is done by eating a balanced diet and avoiding all processed foods, engaging in regular exercise and living a life focused on holistic health strategies.